History of the museum

History of the museum

1902-1940 : the first museum Dubois-Boucher


Creation of a municipal museum in Nogent-sur-Seine, made possible by the donations of the sculptors Alfred Boucher (1850-1934) and Paul Dubois (1829-1905). The museum is named after both sculptors.


Opening of a sculpture gallery in a former warehouse located near the museum, to welcome full-scale models of urban monuments.

Seconde Guerre mondiale

The museum is decimated by pillagers. The museum is closed and in 1950 the works are housed in the terribly rundown sculpture gallery.


1975-2015 : the second museum Dubois-Boucher


Reopening of the Musée Dubois-Boucher.

From 1989

Accompaniment of an acquisition policy, under the impetus of Gérard Ancelin, Mayor of Nogent-sur-Seine from 1989 to 2014, and Jacques Piette, Curator of the Musée Dubois-Boucher from 1978 to 2008. 


Réouverture de la galerie de sculptures reconstituée et installée dans un bâtiment neuf.


Acquisition of Perseus and the Gorgon by Camille Claudel, an oeuvre of "major heritage interest", thanks to the generous patronage of businesses, and with the support of the French State ("Heritage Fund"), the Champagne-Ardenne Region, the Aube Departmental Council and a public subscription campaign organized by the Association Camille Claudel of Nogent-sur-Seine.

The town of Nogent-sur-Seine announces its intention to purchase the house on the Îlot Saint-Epoing, where the Claudel family lived between 1876 and 1879.

In July, acquisition of the works by Camille Claudel gathered together by Reine-Marie Paris, Camille Claudel’s great-niece, and Philippe Cressent.


2009-2013 : The project for the Musée Camille Claudel


Yves Bourel, new curator of the museum, pursues the renovation of the Musée Dubois-Boucher.

16 December 2009

The municipal council approves the principal of pursuing a public-private partnership (PPP) contract for the transfer, restructuring and extension of the Musée Dubois-Boucher on the Îlot Saint-Epoing.


Publication of the public call for applications on 23 April 2010 for the public-private partnership contract. 

7 May 2011 

Visit by Frédéric Mitterrand, French Minister of Culture and Communication, who affirms the State’s support of the museum’s construction and restructuring, within the framework of the regional "Museum Plan" launched in September 2010 by the Ministry of Culture and Communication, in the presence of François Baroin, French Minister of Budget, Public Accounts, Public Services and Reform of the State. 

Summer 2011

An archaeological survey is carried out on the Îlot Saint-Epoing site. The preventive digs would begin in January 2013.

7 October 2011 

Reception of the applicants' final offers as part of the PPP consultation. 

January 2012

The municipal council authorizes the signature of the public-private partnership contract with Nogent Musée SAS, a dedicated company created by SNC-Lavalin within the framework of the project.

8 March 2012

Signing of the PPP contract.

3 October 2012

The municipal council approves renaming the museum the “Musée Camille Claudel”.

November 2012 

Françoise Magny, Honorary Chief Curator of Heritage, is named the new project leader.


2013-2016 :  The construction of the Musée Camille Claudel

February - April 2013

Approval of the scientific programming of the Musée Camille Claudel by the Scientific Council and the town of Nogent-sur-Seine.

June 2013

Work at the construction site begins on 28 June 2013. The first stone is laid in the presence of Madame Labourdette, Director of the Musées de France.

The edifice to house the future Musée Camille Claudel was designed by the architect Adolfo Scaranello, in association with the firm A.N.A.U.


The project is lent momentum by the shared ambition and determination of the municipality, notably Mr Gérard Ancelin (Mayor from 1989 to 2014), the project’s initiator, followed by his successor, Mr Hugues Fadin, as well as Ms Pascale Meyer, Deputy Mayor in Charge of Heritage.

28 novembre 2016 : Le conseil municipal approuve la décision de résiliation pour faute du contrat de partenariat public-privé.



Opening of the Musée Camille Claudel